Monday, October 4, 2010

He Said, She Said.....Perspectives from a Diabetic's Parents

She Said:

When my son Noah, then only 23 months old, was diagnosed with DIABETES eight  months ago, I remember it was DISBELIEF that first overcame me - What?!?!?? Why? How? DENIAL came next. It can’t be. Impossible! Not Noah! These feelings of disbelief and denial didn’t last very long though. I shrugged it off quite easily. My mind raced to the next and only question that really mattered - What is the cure? How soon will Noah get well? When I heard the answers, “None” and “Never” respectively to those two questions, DESPAIR engulfed me completely.  Suddenly, I couldn’t breathe. And the tears came shamelessly streaming down my face. I’ve never shed so much tears in my 35 years of existence than that fateful night Noah got his life sentence - DIABETES.  Type 1 Diabetes to be exact.  The type of diabetes whose cure has not yet been found.  The type of diabetes that does not get any better. At least not until science finds a cure or God grants Noah a miracle......




He Said:

Its been 8 months since that fateful day.  2,100 lancets, 2,100 test strips, and 840 needles later, we are still trying to come to terms about our 2 year old boy having Type 1 diabetes. I read somewhere that there are 5 stages of grief and that one has to go thru each and every stage before you find peace. In the last seven months, i have gone thru the whole 9 yards of denial, anger,bargaining, depression and finally, acceptance....but not necessarily in that order. Upon discovery of Noah's condition, i went straight to acceptance, convincing myself that i have to accept the situation and move on. From then until now, i have been a roller coaster of emotions yoyoing (is that a valid word?) from one stage to another....then circling back. There are good days when i almost forget about what Noah has to face for the rest of his life. But mostly, its been pretty tough on me and my wife. She, on the other hand, went thru the stages in its proper order. The moment i felt that she was at acceptance, i suppose that gave me the liberty to be where i am right now.

Anger.

No comments:

Post a Comment